Not just one but two undersea links are cut and totally out of service. 60% of Indian home and business are experiencing disruption. My home 8Mbps ADSL connection only working at 512K speed :( It could take up to one week to repair the damaged cables and resume full service. The cause of the damage (SEA-ME-WE 4 and FLAG cables in the Mediterranean Sea) has not been declared, but a number of news sources speculate that the damage was caused by a ship's anchor near Alexandria. However, my works place has no effect as traffic immediately routed using Atlantic ocean cable / gateway (hell we have 5 level redundancy and multiple ISPs).
Operations outsourced to India from the UK and US are badly hit and my friends working with those organizations are totally stressed out. Many of my friends worked all night to restore service for home users. I feel sorry for them. I consider my self lucky for not working with any ISP teach support department.
Update: A third submarine internet cable is severed in the Middle East, compounding global net problems.
- DD News Cable breakdown in the Mediterranean sea affects internet
- BCC News: Severed cables disrupt internet
- SEA-ME-WE 4 link site and FLAG (Reliance group company) telecom website
Have you been affected by the disruption to internet services?
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop