CentOS Linux version 6.1 has been released and available for the download. It is a community-supported operating system based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) version 6.1. CentOS Linux is considered as the most popular Linux distribution for web servers and general purposes usage.
From the release note:
CentOS-6.1 is based on the upstream release EL 6.1 and includes packages from all variants. All upstream repositories have been combined into one, to make it easier for end users to work with. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendor's redistribution policy and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.)
CentOS 6.1 Download
You can download CentOS Linux 6.1 via the web/ftp server or via BitTorrent (recommended).
32 bit vs 64 bit CentOS 6.1 Version
- For almost all server usage download 64 bit version to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2 Due, Core 2 Quad, i7Core, i5Core and so on). You can use advanced feature such as hardware error detection, access to more than 4GB RAM and so on.
- 32 bit system is good for desktop usage. Almost all multimedia plugins and software works with 32bit edition.
CentOS 6.1 DVD ISO download
- Visit mirror to download CentOS ISO image 32 bit i386 DVD ISO image # 1 (3.6 GB) and image # 2 (1.0GB)
- Visit mirror to download CentOS ISO images 64 bit DVD ISO image # 1 (4.1 GB) and image # 2 (1.2GB)
CentOS Linux 6.1 DVD ISO Torrents
Torrent files for the DVD's are available at the following location:
- Download 32 bit i386 torrent file (requires a BitTorrent client)
- Download 64 bit x86_64 torrent file (requires a BitTorrent client)
A Note Aobout RHEL 6.2 Security Updates and CentOS 6.1
From the official centos website:
TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
Since upstream has a 6.2 version already released, we will be using a Continuous Release repository for 6.1 to bring all 6.2 and post 6.2 security updates to all 6.1 users, till such time as CentOS-6.2 is released itself.
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop