Dennis Ritchie died at home this weekend after a long illness. I'm sure every "Unix" and "C" user will miss him.He was the key developer of the Unix and original developer of the C programming language.
Dennis MacAlistair Ritchie was an American computer scientist notable for developing C and for having influence on other programming languages, as well as operating systems such as Multics and Unix. He received the Turing Award in 1983 and the National Medal of Technology 1998 on April 21, 1999. Ritchie was the head of Lucent Technologies System Software Research Department when he retired in 2007.
I stared with "The C programming Language (K&R)" over 15 years ago. It is the best programming book I own ever. He has left his mark in technology and left rock solid foundation for rest of us. RIP, and thanks for your work.
More info and user comments :
- Dennis Ritchie RIP [lwn.net]
- Our facbook page
- Dennis Ritchie, Creator of UNIX and C, Dead at 70 [osnews.com]
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop