Slackware was my first Linux distribution. Slackware version 12.0 has been released. It has many improvements as compare to old version. Slackware was one of the earliest distributions, and the oldest currently being maintained. Slackware has a reputation of stable releases of applications, standing mainly for design for stability and simplicity.
From the announcement:
This first Slackware edition of the year combines Slackware's legendary simplicity (and close tracking of original sources), stability, and
security with some of the latest advances in Linux technology. Expect no less than the best Slackware yet. Among the many program updates and distribution enhancements, you'll find two of the most advanced desktop environments available today: Xfce 4.4.1, a fast and lightweight but visually appealing and easy to use desktop environment, and KDE 3.5.7, the latest version of the award-winning K Desktop Environment. We have added to Slackware support for HAL (the Hardware Abstraction Layer) which allows the system administrator to add users to the cdrom and plugdev groups. Then they will be able to use items such as USB flash sticks, USB cameras that appear like USB storage, portable hard drives, CD and DVD media, MP3 players, and more, all without requiring sudo, the mount or umount command. Just plug and play. Properly set up, Slackware's desktop should be suitable for any level of Linux experience.
Download link - ( Download Slackware Linux )
The full version of Slackware Linux 12.0 is available for download from the central Slackware FTP sites:
If the sites are busy, see the list of official mirror sites here. Slackware team will be setting up BitTorrent downloads for the official ISO images soon.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop