VMware Server (formerly GSX Server) is an entry-level server virtualization solution which is proprietary, freeware software. VMware released version 2.0 beta of Server on July 1, 2008. VMware Server offers virtualization benefits such as:
+ You can create, edit, and play virtual machines.
+ Install any guest operating system for testing purpose.
+ Improve security.
+ Reduce downtime.
+ Control guest oses and VMware server from browser itself.
+ Improve resource utilization i.e. resource virtualization etc.
It uses a client-server model, allowing remote access to virtual machines.
Download VMware Server 2.0 Release Candidate 1
- You can download latest version 2.0 RC1 here [32 bit RPM 496M and 64 bit RPM 465M)
Please note that to use this version, you will need to register for your free serial number(s).
How do I install vmware?
Once downloaded simply use rpm command to install VMware software under CentOS / RHEL 5.x:
# rpm -ivh VMware-server-2.0.0-101586.x86_64.rpm
Before running VMware Server for the first time, you need to configure it for your running kernel by invoking the following command:
How do I access and control my guest operating systems?
Fire a webbrowser and type the following url:
(Fig.01: Vmware server web login)
Once logged in you can see all your virtual machines and you can start / stop VPS oses:
(Fig.02: "VMWare Infrastructure Web Access" provides appliance like control [click to enlarge])
You need to install Firefox add-on called "VMware Remote Console Plugin", once installed you can install any os or view guest / vps oses console:
(Fig.03: FreeBSD remote console within my Firefox [click to enlarge])
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop