Asked by Christopher
Q. I have both FreeBSD and Red Hat Linux desktop computers. I would like to change KDE to GNOME or vice versa. Under FreeBSD X windows is working but without KDE/Gnome desktop, I am using Intel Celeron computer can I run or install kde?
Changing Desktop Environments under Red Hat
Use utility called switchdesk, open terminal, and type
Select desktop you would like to use, click Ok.
From System Setting select > Switch desktop tool
Modify /etc/sysconfig/desktop file
# vi /etc/sysconfig/desktop
Setup/modify variable DISPLAYMANAGER:
- If you want Gnome Desktop setup it to DISPLAYMANAGER="GNOME"
- If you want KDE Desktop setup it to DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
Note: Debian user can need to modify file /etc/X11/default-display-manager and need to put full path of desktop manager. Therefore, if you are using Gnome use path /usr/bin/gdm, for Kde use path /usr/bin/kdm.
FreeBSD Desktop system
Since you are using low end Celeron I recommend using xfce desktop (you can use Gnome too but it will be little bit slow). It is a desktop environment based on the GTK+ toolkit used by GNOME, but is much more lightweight and simple.
To install xfce, type following command as root user:
# pkg_add -r xfce4
Open your configuration file .xinitrc and append/add following line to it:
# cd # vi .xinitrc
Simply add following line:
Save the file, exit to shell prompt. Above line, tell the X server to launch XFce the every time X is started.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop