The FreeBSD ports collection offers a simple way for users and administrators to install applications. The ports made FreeBSD quite popular. Keeping ports up to date is an essential task.
FreeBSD Install cvsup
If you never upgraded freebsd ports collection then first step is required; otherwise skip this step and goto step # 2
# pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui # mkdir /usr/ports
CVSup is a software package for distributing and updating collections of files (ports) across a network.
Update ports collection/tree
# cvsup -L 2 -h cvsup9.FreeBSD.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
Above step will take some to fetch files and it will update your ports collection.
Note if you got an error as follows:
Rejected by server: Access limit exceeded; try again later
Will retry at 01:36:41
Then replace cvsup9.FreeBSD.org with cvs8.freebsd.org, cvs7.freebsd.org etc. You are done. Install packages from updated tree, before that consider installing security auditing port to avoid vulnerabilities warning. Now you can install application via ports.
Running the cvsup command later agian will download and apply all the recent changes to your Ports Collection, except actually rebuilding the ports for your own system. Next time you will see howto use the portupgrade utility to upgrade installed ports.
You can use portsnap command. It is an alternative system for distributing the Ports Collection. It was first included in FreeBSD 6.0. Install portsnap as follows:
# mkdir /usr/ports # pkg_add -r portsnap # portsnap fetch # portsnap extract # portsnap update
See FreeBSD handbook topic Using Portsnap more information.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop