Today, Google has announced the launch of their free DNS resolution service. Many ISPs and 3rd party provider such as OpenDNS snoops around or send traffic to ad servers. However, Google promises not to play with end users and send the exact response his or her computer expects without performing any blocking, filtering, or redirection that may hamper a user's browsing experience. In other words Google will not hijacking your traffic on non-existent domain name and it will follow strict RFC standard.
From the blog post:
The DNS protocol is an important part of the web's infrastructure, serving as the Internet's "phone book". Every time you visit a website, your computer performs a DNS lookup. Complex pages often require multiple DNS lookups before they complete loading. As a result, the average Internet user performs hundreds of DNS lookups each day, that collectively can slow down his or her browsing experience.
Google DNS Server IP Addresses
The Google Public DNS IP addresses are as follows:
How Do I Add Google DNS Server IP Address Under Linux?
Simple edit the /etc/resolv.conf file and add above two ip address:
nameserver 188.8.131.52 nameserver 184.108.40.206
Google DNS Server vs Your ISP Server
CDN servers will not work correctly and they will return a list close to Google's DNS servers.
host i.dell.com 220.127.116.11
Using domain server: Name: 18.104.22.168 Address: 22.214.171.124#53 Aliases: i.dell.com is an alias for img.dell-cidr.akadns.net. img.dell-cidr.akadns.net is an alias for ccdn-global.dell.com.edgesuite.net.globalredir.akadns.net. ccdn-global.dell.com.edgesuite.net.globalredir.akadns.net is an alias for a1058.g.akamai.net. a1058.g.akamai.net has address 126.96.36.199 a1058.g.akamai.net has address 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 & 220.127.116.11 located somewhere in KUALA LUMPUR.
host i.dell.com 18.104.22.168
Using domain server: Name: 22.214.171.124 Address: 126.96.36.199#53 Aliases: i.dell.com is an alias for img.dell-cidr.akadns.net. img.dell-cidr.akadns.net is an alias for ccdn-global.dell.com.edgesuite.net.globalredir.akadns.net. ccdn-global.dell.com.edgesuite.net.globalredir.akadns.net is an alias for a1058.g.akamai.net. a1058.g.akamai.net has address 188.8.131.52 a1058.g.akamai.net has address 184.108.40.206
220.127.116.11 & 18.104.22.168 located in India. This also applies to NTP pool servers.
- Ping times (ISP dns servers) - 20ms
- Ping times (Google dns servers) - 116ms
- Ping times (OpenDNS servers) - 190ms
Resolving timings (use dig @dns-server.address domainname.com):
- ISP DNS Server - 41 msec
- Google DNS Server - 262 msec
- OpenDNS server - 213 msec
In other words I will use my ISPs server instead of Google or OpenDNS due to speed issue and incorrect handling of CDN servers. If you own a small LAN, I recommend setting up a caching dns server called dnsmasq.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop