Debian was first announced on 16 August 1993, by Ian Murdock, who was then a student at Purdue University. The latest stable release of Debian is 4.0. Debian is well known for following the Unix and free software philosophies. All code names of Debian releases are names of characters from the film Toy Story - Buzz, Rex, Hamm, Woody, Sarge and Etch etc.
According to Spanish university study - Debian's 283 million lines of source code would cost US $10 billion to develop by proprietary means.
Debian is also well known for stability and many new distros based upon Debian such as Ubuntu. Today, Debian turns 15 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop