Well some time you do not have access to source code or you really do not want to compile the code. Then Red Hat Enterprise Linux provides the service called ia32el. The ia32el package contains IA-32 Execution Layer platform which allows emulation of IA-32 binaries on IA-64.(i.e. it allows to run 32-bit applications through the use of Intel's IA-32 Execution Layer). The IA-32 Execution Layer and 32-bit compatibility packages together provide a runtime environment for 32-bit applications on the 64-bit native RedHat Linux distribution.
Use rpm command to verify that it is installed:
# rpm -qa | grep ia32el
If service is, installed then check the status of service:
# service ia32el status
If it is not installed then install it via up2date command or install it from other extra CD provided by Red Hat Linux. Once installed you can start service with command:
# service ia32el start
And make sure you have /emul dir. If this failes then you need to recompile the package from source, code again on 64-bit computer. Also make sure you update ia32el package, it has some bugs that can cause problem.
Between we have added Linux & UNIX Top Sites project to our community site. It is a top sites directory that aims to show you the best Linux/UNIX related site or blogs. We have different categories to suit your needs. Ranking of pages is done according to number of unique visit each site receives every week. If you have a site or blog related to Linux/UNIX and wish to have your site listed, please register your site free.
See Red Hat Linux documentation for more information.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop