Favorites icon (favicon) file is placed in a web server root directory. It is a page icon or associated with a particular website. For example when you visit our site you see favicon in the browser's URL bar, next to the site's name. Also it appears next to the site's name in lists of bookmarks, and next to the page's title in a tabbed document interface.
There is a tool called ppmtowinicon which convert 1 or more portable pixmaps into a Windows .ico file You need to specify one or more portable pixmaps as input and it produces a Microsoft Windows .ico file as output. A Windows icon contains 1 or more images, at different resolutions and color depths. Microsoft recommends including at least the following formats in each icon (size and bits-per-pixel):
=> 16 x 16 - 4 bpp
=> 32 x 32 - 4 bpp
=> 48 x 48 - 8 bpp
How to create a favicon.ico with GIMP
You need to install netpbm - a graphics conversion tools under Linux / UNIX. You also need GIMP - the GNU Image Manipulation program to create a favicon on Linux.
Install netpbm and GIMP
Use apt-get command to install packages under Debian / Ubuntu Linux:
$ sudo apt-get install netpbm gimp
Step # 1: Convert logo to ppm raw format
- Open your logo using GIMP
- Now cut and paste logo in square
- Next resize logo by visiting Image > Scale image option. Set pixel size to 16 x 16 or 32 x 32 or 48 x 48.
- Next click on File > Save as > Enter file name as favicon.ppm > Click on Save > Raw Encoding > Ok
Step # 2: Convert portable pixmaps into a Windows .ico file
Now run the following command to create a .ico file:
$ ppmtowinicon -output favicon.ico favicon.ppm
Step # 3: Upload favicon.ico file
Upload favicon.ico file to webserver root directory such as /var/www/html or /srv/httpd/cyberciti.biz.
Step # 4: Favicon example
To activate favicon, modify your site pages or template by placing following code between <head>...</head> section:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop