Yesterday, I wrote about a serious Linux kernel bug and fix. However, few readers like to know about patching running Linux kernel. Patching production kernel is a risky business. Following procedure will help you to fix the problem.
Step # 1: Make sure your product is affected
First find out if your product is affected by reported exploit. For example, vmsplice() but only affects RHEL 5.x but RHEL 4.x,3.x, and 2.1.x are not affected at all. You can always obtain this information by visiting vendors bug reporting system called bugzilla. Also make sure bug affects your architectures. For example, a bug may only affect 64 bit or 32 bit platform.
Step # 2: Apply patch
You better apply and test patch in a test environment. Please note that some vendors such as Redhat and Suse modifies or backports kernel. So it is good idea to apply patch to their kernel source code tree. Otherwise you can always grab and apply patch to latest kernel version.
Step # 3: How do I apply kernel patch?
Change directory to your kernel source code:
# cd linux-2.6.xx.yy
Download and save patch file as fix.vmsplice.exploit.patch:
# cat fix.vmsplice.exploit.patch
--- a/fs/splice.c +++ b/fs/splice.c @@ -1234,7 +1234,7 @@ static int get_iovec_page_array(const struct iovec __user *iov, if (unlikely(!len)) break; error = -EFAULT; - if (unlikely(!base)) + if (!access_ok(VERIFY_READ, base, len)) break; /*
I hope this quick and dirty guide will save someones time. On a related note Erek has unofficial patched RPMs for CentOS / RHEL distros.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop