rsyn is the best tool for mirroring servers and data. However, there is also mirrordir tool. As name suggest it can mirror directories and do lots of other things. It offers lots of options for die hard shell scripting fans. It can copy, mirror directory trees via a minimal set of changes, locally or over FTP, or over a secure tcp connection.
From the man page:
mirrordir copies files that are different between the directories control and mirror to the directory mirror. Files whose modification times or sizes differ are copied. File permissions, ownerships, modification times, access times (only if --access-times is used), sticky bits, and device types are duplicated. Symlinks are duplicated without any translation. Symlink modification and access times (of the symlink itself, not the file it points to) are not preserved. Hard linked files are merely copied.
mirrordir command supports strong stream cipher encryption and Diffie-Hellman key exchanges with several possible key sizes.
Use apt-get or ports system command:
$ sudo apt-get install mirrordir
Mirror ~/scripts to ~/scripts.backup:
$ mkdir ~/scripts.backup
$ mirrordir -v ~/scripts ~/scripts.backup
If you rerun mirrordir again, only the updated files are copied.
You can mirroring FTP sites:
$ mirrordir -v ftp://ftp.nixcraft.in/pub /home/backup/nixcraft.in/ftp/pub
mirrordir offers tons of option, refer mirrordir man page for more examples and options:
$ man mirrordir
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop