If you want to use the highest possible resolution on new Ubuntu Linux you need to apply a special patch called 915resolution. I’m using Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with 15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT display (1280x800 res.) and my os is Ubuntu Linux 7.04.
Some Intel integrated graphic cards, such as those in most laptops, will require additional work to get them running at their native resolutions such as 1400x1050. These card include the Intel 845G, 855G, and 865G, as well as the 915G, 915GM and 945G.
The problem is that the driver for these cards ("i810") is designed to query the card for a list of supported resolutions. This list is stored in the video BIOS of the card, and if the vendor was too lazy to include all possible resolutions or if the resolution you want to use is esoteric, then the driver will not be able to use it.
The 915resolution package (resolution modification tool for Intel graphic chipset) gives you the possibility to change the list reported by the card so that the driver will then be able to change the resolution. This is done by replacing a resolution entry in the chip's list that you don't want (e.g. 640x480), with the desired resolution.
How do I install 915resolution package under Ubuntu feisty?
You need to add 915resolution package using apt-get or GUI package manager. Make sure you have universe repo enabled. If not click on
System > Administration > Software source > Enable required repo.
Next type the command:
$ sudo apt-get install 915resolution
Next try either rebooting or logging out and logging back in to restart the X server. Now I’ve 1280x800 screen resolution In most cases this should set the resolution. You can also set resolution manually by visiting System > Preferences > Screen Resolution menu.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop