Update: Check out new improved domain-check script.
Forgetting to renew your domain name can happen to all of us. According to this post:
Reports are coming in from Germany that Google.de was down for many hours yesterday, and has now gone live again. We're trying to confirm the reason, but it appears to be because Google forgot to renew the Google.de domain name..
I am going to share my little (read as dirty) shell script. It monitors and lists domain expiration date.
whois command line client for the whois directory service. It provides domain whois information. To find out nixcraft.com domain information you need to type:
$ whois nixcraft.com
Find domain expiration date
To get expiration date use grep command:
$ whois nixcraft.com | egrep -i 'Expiration|Expires on'
Expiration Date: 10-may-2009 NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration. Expires on: 10-May-09
Here is my script:
#!/bin/bash # Domain name list - add your domainname here DOM="theos.in cricketnow.in nixcraft.com nixcraft.org nixcraft.biz nixcraft.net nixcraft.info cyberciti.biz cyberciti.org gite.in nixcraft.in" for d in $DOM do echo -n "$d - " whois $d | egrep -i 'Expiration|Expires on' | head -1 # If you need list.. # whois $d | egrep -i 'Expiration|Expires on' | head -1 >> /tmp/domain.date # echo "" done # # [ -f /tmp/domain.date ] && mail -s 'Domain renew / expiration date' email@example.com < /tmp/domain.date || : #
theos.in - Expiration Date:28-Oct-2007 13:01:58 UTC cricketnow.in - Expiration Date:29-Jul-2008 09:17:56 UTC nixcraft.com - Expiration Date: 10-may-2009 nixcraft.org - Expiration Date:13-Aug-2007 14:58:30 UTC nixcraft.biz - Domain Expiration Date: Fri Jun 01 23:59:59 GMT 2007 nixcraft.net - Expiration Date: 11-dec-2007 nixcraft.info - Expiration Date:26-Jun-2007 11:05:13 UTC cyberciti.biz - Domain Expiration Date: Tue Jun 30 23:59:59 GMT 2009 cyberciti.org - Expiration Date:25-May-2007 11:20:40 UTC gite.in - Expiration Date:14-Sep-2007 06:47:36 UTC nixcraft.in - Expiration Date:02-Feb-2008 05:33:08 UTC
Install a script and run on weekly / monthly basis via Linux/UNIX Cron facility.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop