Since I use wordpress as CMS for 2-3 different websites, upgrading wordpress is an essential task for me. Upgrading wordpress from shell prompt is the easiest thing.
Howto update wordpress
Please note that if you are not comfortable with UNIX shell prompt (IF YOU ARE new to UNIX/Linux), please follow traditional way of upgrading wordpress and DO NOT use following instructions ;)
Step # 1: Backup existing database and wordpress directory
Type the following commands at shell prompt:
$ mkdir /backup/wp/28nov2006
$ mysqldump -u user -p WP-DATABASENAME > /backup/wp/28nov2006/blog.db.sql
$ tar -zcvf /backup/wp/28nov2006.tar.gz /var/www/html/blog
Step # 2: Download latest wordpress CMS
$ cd /tmp
$ wget http://wordpress.org/latest.zip
$ unzip latest.zip
Step # 3: Overwrite all new files
$ cd /var/www/html/blog
$ cp -avr /tmp/wordpress/* .
$ rm -rf /tmp/wordpress /tmp/latest.zip
Open a browser and run update script such as http://yourblog.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php
And you are done. Thanks to UNIX shell access. It just took less than 1 minute!!! Replace path names and database name with actual values.
In case, if something goes wrong, you can always restore old database and files from /backup/wp/28nov2006 directory.
PS: I wrote this because some one recently asked me how to upgrade wordpess from command line.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop