Recently one of our HP-UX servers went down and it needed recovery. Since I’m new to HP UX one of our senior UNIX admin pointed me that they have a system recovery tape. After going through our internal docs and other resources, I was able to recover system :)
Here is what I did...
First I had put recovery tape into the tape driver
As soon as system started (auto boot) I had to interrupt the autoboot sequence (press ESC key) and load tape into driver
Next I had type 'search ipl' command so that it will search for my recovery tape driver
> search ipl
It will give output of different devices such as Random access media, look for Sequential Access Media (and its path number or hw path).
Here is what I typed to boot from tape (in my system
> boot 8/16/5.0
> boot p2
Replace 8/16/5.0 or p2 with your actual tape drive h/w path. Once booting started, it will automatically restore it.
It took almost an hour to recover but it did the job. This tape made my system bootable. Next task was to restore all data from full and incremental backup and install needed additional software. I had typed following command on HP-UX box to restore all files and directory:
# frecover –f /dev/rmt/0m –rv
This emergency came around 5pm evening last Friday. I was just closing for that day and I was about to go home. I had spent 4 hours to restore box and other stuff.
Well good news it that my diwali holidays starts from coming Friday and it will lasted until November 7, 2005 :). I really need a break guys :D.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop