Session support in PHP consists of a way to preserve certain data across subsequent accesses. This enables you to build more customized applications and increase the appeal of your web site.
This path is defined in /etc/php.ini file and all data related to a particular session will be stored in a file in the directory specified by the session.save_path option.
After installing phpMyAdmin I was able to login but unable to select or modify tables. First, I thought I made some configuration errors, and then I reinstalled phpMyAdmin again. It was not working at all.
Finally, php error log file provides me the answer with the following errors:
[26-Jul-2006 13:35:22] PHP Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php/session/sess_lLFJ,tk9eFs5PGtWKKf559oKFM3, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0 [26-Jul-2006 13:35:22] PHP Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/session) in Unknown on line 0 [26-Jul-2006 13:35:40] PHP Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php/session/sess_lLFJ,tk9eFs5PGtWKKf559oKFM3, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0
/var/lib/php/ has root:apache write permission combination. Since I had migrated from the Apache to Lighttpd web server, I forgot to set correct permission for session directory (php.ini - session.save_path directive). To change file owner and group permission you need to use the chown command as follows:
# chown root:lighttpd /var/lib/php/ -R
Now my phpMyAdmin is working fine.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop