Compiz brings to life a variety of visual effects that make the Linux desktop easier to use, more powerful and intuitive, and more accessible for users with special needs. It is an OpenGL-based compositing and window-manager. Compiz is the original compositing window manager from Novell's XGL project. It is developed by David Reveman and community.
Compiz is one of the first compositing window managers for the X Window System that uses 3D graphics hardware to create fast compositing desktop effects for window management.
By default Compiz configuration settings manager is not installed under Ubuntu Linux 7.10. So first install compiz manager:
$ sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
Please note that compiz only worked with 3D hardware which was supported by Xgl. Most NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards are known to work with Compiz on Xgl. On board Intel card (Intel GMA) also reported working with compiz.
Turn on 3D Compiz Effects
Save the changes.
How do I use or see the 3D effects?
Now everything is turned on, but how do you use it? Just hit the following key combinations to see effects:
- ALT + TAB: Switch windows
- Windows key + Tab: Switch windows
- Ctrl + Alt + Left/Right Arrow: Switch desktops on cube
- Ctrl + Alt + Left-click anywhere on wallpaper and drag
- Try minimizing and maximizing windows
- Try Dragging windows
- Double click titlebar
- Windows key+right-click Zoom-in once
- Windows key + wheel mouse up : Zoom-in manually
To get idea about 3D effects, please see following youtube video (video may not work inside RSS reader, so click here to view the same):
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop