Over the last few years concept of desktop organizer software applications becomes quite popular. This software application automatically create organizational structures from desktop content from heterogeneous types of content including email, files, contacts, companies, RSS news feeds, photos, music, chat sessions and much more
Gimmie is a unique desktop organizer for Linux. It's designed to allow easy interaction with all the applications, contacts, documents and other things you use every day. Gimmie can be run either as a stand-alone application or added as a GNOME Panel applet.
From the project home page:
A lot of thought has been put into Gimmie to avoid some pitfalls that exist in other desktop navigation systems. Gone is the application-centric view that's common Microsoft Windows and Apple OSX. Most people only run a handful of applications regularly, so why make them the central topic of your computer screen?
Instead, Gimmie uses an innovative tabs-based approach to categorize everything on your computer. Not just the applications you have installed. You can quickly find friends, documents, computers on the network, notes, music, and just about everything else in a few clicks.
How do I install gimmie?
Gimmie can be installed using apt-get under Debian / Ubuntu Linux:
$ sudo apt-get install gimmie
# apt-get install gimmie
Once gimmie software is installed you can access gimmie from Gnome panel applet or as standalone dock.
Further referencesTwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop