The Totem Movie Player application is a movie player for the GNOME desktop (default on Ubuntu Linux) based on GStreamer framework and xine library, and enables you to play movies or songs. You can watch Youtube video or listen BBC streams (podcasts) with this player without installing anything else such as Flash.
Totem Movie Player is simple and easy to use player. It provides the following features:
- Support a variety of video and audio files.
- Provide a variety of zoom levels and aspect ratios, and a fullscreen view.
- Seek and Volume controls.
- A playlist.
- Complete keyboard navigation and much more
How to watch / listen BBC videos in the Linux?
Start Totem by visiting Applications > Sound & Video > Movie Player
Make sure Youtube and BBC content enabled. Click on Edit > Plugins:
Make sure you place a check in the box labeled 'YouTube browser' and 'BBC content viewer' > Click Close to save changes.
How do I view BBC content under Ubuntu Linux?
To see all BBC content, select BBC from the box located in upper right side of Totem. A list will be fetched for you. Double click a podcast to listen:
How do I view YouTube Video under Ubuntu Linux?
Simply select YouTube from the box located in upper right side of Totem. Type a search such as "Quantum of Solace James Bond" and hit [Enter] key. Totem will search YouTube.com for your keywords. It will load results in sidebar. Simply double-click a video to watch it:
Important keyboard shortcuts for For Totem:
|p||toggle between play and pause|
|Esc||exit full screen mode|
|f||toggle full screen|
|h||toggle display of on-screen controls|
|0||resize window to 50% original size|
|1||resize window to 100% original size|
|2||resize window to 200% original size|
|r||zoom in the video|
|t||zoom out the video|
|Left-arrow||skip back 15 seconds|
|Right-arrow||skip forward 15 seconds|
|Shift+Left-arrow||skip back 5 seconds|
|Shift+Right-arrow||skip forward 15 seconds|
|Ctrl+Left-arrow||skip back 3 minutes|
|Ctrl+Right arrow||skip forward 10 minutes|
|Up-arrow||increase volume by 8%|
|Down-arrow||decrease volume by 8%|
|b||jump back to previous chapter/movie in playlist|
|n||jump to next chapter/movie in playlist|
|Ctrl+E||eject the playing optical media|
|Ctrl+O||open a new file|
|Ctrl+L||open a new URI|
|F9||toggle display of the playlist|
|m||show the DVD menu|
|c||show the DVD chapter menu|
Command line options
To view other command line options that are available, type totem --help or read man page:
$ totem --help
$ man totem
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop