The study (PDF) file is here.
Marking what could have been a summer-long hiatus in its "Get the Facts" campaign,
Microsoft is re-igniting the flames on the argument over whether enterprises spend less to manage Windows systems than Linux systems.
This morning, the company touted a study it commissioned from independent analyst Mercer Management Consulting, which made the case that companies that implement migration programs away from UNIX systems based on the need to adopt new applications -- what Mercer calls "transformational migrations" -- now tend to choose Windows over Linux. Read more at Betanews.
Few facts about Linux (my personal observation)
=> Linux admins are paid higher as compare Windows admin
=> You do not have to pay for software license but a small fee for updates and support. You can save update fees using community driven distro such as Debian.
We run commercial paid email service totally based upon Postfix and other open source software. We have more than 100000 paid subscribers. Now just imagine cost - Exchange and Windows 2003 server. Bottom line Linux still beats Microsoft when it comes to cost.
=> However, here is what one of our senior manager said to me - If Linux offers better solution, cost does not matter at all. In fact, we have over 200+ of server subscribed to RHN. Therefore, Microsoft please stop all your BS.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop