It's been over 10 days since I've blogged. I was busy with workload so I could not update the blog. I missed lots of news worthy stuff. Here is a quick news roundup:
a] A new custom version of Ubuntu aimed at netbooks and based on 8.04 Hardy Heron has been released by HP.
b] Open source Exchange server replacement only a year away.
c] Scripting SSH access and file transfers with Python can be frustrating - but the Paramiko module solves that in a powerful way.
d] Amazon offering 3 Full Version Games for a Limited period of time.
e] cyberciti.biz / nixcraft.com is now IPv6 enabled.
New Netbook GUI For Ubuntu : Hewlett Packard has released a custom version of Ubuntu Linux designed for netbooks. For the HP Mini 1000 Mi Edition, to be exact. Under the hood, the operating system is based on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. That means it can run pretty much any application that runs on Ubuntu including OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird and Pidgin.
OpenChange, KDE bring Exchange compatibility to Linux : Recent developments in the OpenChange and KDE open source projects are set to bridge a “missing link” in messaging and groupware compatibility from Microsoft's Exchange to open source clients.
SSH Programming with Paramiko - OpenSSH is the ubiquitous method of remote access for secure remote-machine login and file transfers. Many people — systems administrators, test automation engineers, web developers and others have to use and interact with it daily. Scripting SSH access and file transfers with Python can be frustrating — but the Paramiko module solves that in a powerful way.
Download 3 free games from Amazon - Amazon has launched its new game download service. For a limited time, you grab three free full version games including - Jewel Quest II (matching puzzle game), Build-a-lot (house building simulation) and The Scruffs (seek-and-find object game).
Command-Line-Fu is the place to record those UNIX / Linux command-line gems that you return to again and again.
cyberciti.biz / nixcraft.com is now dual stacked and available on both IPv4 and IPv6:
$ host cyberciti.biz
cyberciti.biz has address 22.214.171.124 cyberciti.biz has IPv6 address 2607:f0d0:1002:11::4 cyberciti.biz mail is handled by 10 mail.nixcraft.net.
Also, home page is updated. It will get more features in coming days including featured content. I'm also aware of a small css bug for Seamonkey / Mozilla browser. Only a small number of people affected by this bug. I will fix this some time later.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop