The One Laptop Per Child Project and Microsoft plan to make both Windows and Linux available on a version of the project's XO Laptop. It means the little green laptop would now run Windows XP as well as Linux. According to Nicholas Negroponte:
OLPC is not in the open-source advocacy business ... we're in the education business.
This will not just kill enthusiasm for the project but the project itself. Windows XP will not run smoothly on low end hardware. It will be now dual-boot system with Sugar and Microsoft's Student Innovation Suite, a US$3 software (Windows XP, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, Microsoft Math 3.0, Learning Essentials 2.0 for Microsoft Office and Windows Live Mail software).
More information available here.
OLPC did not specify the price of the dual-boot system.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop