I was a big fan of OpenDNS dns service, but recently I found few bad things about their offerings. I strongly recommend to stay away from OpenDNS service.
All your search queries belongs to OpenDNS
OpenDNS redirects all your Google search queries though their servers. They captures your search query data and they forwards to real google.com domain. Here is a quick DNS lookup:
$ host www.google.co.in 126.96.36.199
Using domain server: Name: 188.8.131.52 Address: 184.108.40.206#53 Aliases: www.google.co.in is an alias for www.google.com. www.google.com is an alias for google.navigation.opendns.com. google.navigation.opendns.com has address 220.127.116.11 google.navigation.opendns.com has address 18.104.22.168
They may also do same for your email and other search engine.
OpenDNS is bad for server
Don't use them on your colocated server or vps server. They redirect web browser users or scripts accessing nonexistent domains to a page containing sponsored search results, ads, and a search form. The DNS protocol requires that a query for a nonexistent domain must return the "NXDOMAIN" error response. Here is a sample output:
$ host abcabcxyzxyz.com 22.214.171.124
Using domain server: Name: 126.96.36.199 Address: 188.8.131.52#53 Aliases: abcabcxyzxyz.com has address 184.108.40.206 Host abcabcxyzxyz.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
This encourages spam as you will not able to filter out spam queries using their dns servers.
OpenDNS caching sucks
I contacted their support about my problem but never got any reply. Their server always returns two IP address for my nameserver:
$ host ns2.nixcraft.net 220.127.116.11
Using domain server: Name: 18.104.22.168 Address: 22.214.171.124#53 Aliases: ns2.nixcraft.net has address 126.96.36.199 ns2.nixcraft.net has address 188.8.131.52
I don't have 2 IP address for ns2.nixcraft.net.
I strongly recommend running your own dns cache server along with your ISP forwarding nameservers.
Thanks to ricko for pointing out OpenDNS issue in a chat room and elsewhere on the Internet.
Update: Fri Nov 5, 2010 by Vivek: OpenDNS no longer redirects Google search queries though their servers:
$ host www.google.co.in 184.108.40.206 Using domain server: Name: 220.127.116.11 Address: 18.104.22.168#53 Aliases: www.google.co.in is an alias for www.google.com. www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com. www.l.google.com has address 22.214.171.124
Updated for accuracy.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop