Project Indiana is a new project to create an OpenSolaris binary distribution. This distribution will focus on providing a single CD install with the basic core operating system and desktop environment, with the opportunity of installing additional software off network repositories just like Ubuntu Linux.
This is a new project from Sun. The main aim is make OpenSolaris an easy to use UNIX:
The distribution will showcase much of the work continuing in the OpenSolaris community and the best of breed open source software available within other open source communities. Moverover, the distribution will include work that closes the familiarity gap with existing GNU/Linux users eg. install and packaging.
Project Indiana will be a leading edge distribution with an expected adoption of OpenSolaris enthusiasts and developers on single user systems and basic server setups. It will also encourage new users coming to the platform for the first time.
According to Ian Murdock’s Weblog:
Like Linux, OpenSolaris is a kernel. Except that it’s more than a kernel. Or, rather, more than a kernel but not quite a complete operating system. Are you confused yet?
Ian is 100% right and suggests ways to improve OpenSolaris. In short Sun's new project trying to turn OpenSolaris into a practical distributions, you can download OpenSolaris just like Ubuntu and use it like a pro. Now the million dollar question ~ Can OpenSolaris make Sun shine again?TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop