Well, I just came back to work after 1 week of holiday. My first trouble ticket reads, "unable to boot dedicated Red Hat Linux box". So I had to fixed this box offline. Unfortunately all servers in old rack are without KVM Roam device (it is just as good as being in front of the monitor and keyboard but remotely). So I had to take out this box from rack and take to our lab.
Soon I discovered problem with file system (hang at automount). So I decided to boot into Red hat Linux Rescue environment. To do this at boot prompt I had typed (Grub boot loader):
I have used rescue environment at least 100 times in past. However this time system hangs in rescue environment :/? I said what the f*** problem...
I had spent at least 30-35 minutes to fix problem but no way... finally I had to call our support level 2 UNIX guys (if they can't fix it then you have to depend upon community and Google) and he quickly pointed out me to pass nomount option to rescue environment, so my command at boot was as follows:
linux rescue nomount
This did the trick and I was successfully able to repair disk partition using fsck. I have learned very important lesson a corrupt partition can cause problem... nomount disables automated mounting of file systems.
Between we are making few changes to this blog templates and we are gonna introduce couple of new features, so if you noticed anything broken please contact us. Hopefully will able to finished it before this month end.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop