Recently I was hired to work on a Government project. They are 100% Microsoft shop expect for few Redhat boxes and Cisco gear.
They also have lots of customized VPN and cisco routers supplied by local company. Apart from securing those RHEL boxes, I had to connect routers / vpn devices via a local com port to upgrade BIOS and other configurations. They have Windows vista on all desktops and my Laptop has no serial port. So I decided to use old good HyperTerminal. I thought HyperTerminal is still under the Programs > Accessories > Communications menu. I failed to locate hypertrm.exe. From Microsoft support website:
HyperTerminal is no longer part of Windows. There are several options you can use to replace its functionality. If you previously used HyperTerminal to control serial devices, you can usually find a downloadable version of HyperTerminal on the Internet that is free for personal use.
So what was the purpose of removing Hyper terminal from vista ? How do you use the equivalent of Hyperterminal in XP, with Windows Vista to configure Cisco routers?
Get Putty to replace vista hyperterminal
Download and use open source putty terminal software. You can grab putty here.
You also need to setup other serial connection parameters by visiting category > serial menu on left side:
(Fig. 02: Configure putty serial communication options)
Finally, just hit open button:
(Fig. 03: Windows Vista putty serial communication in action)
There you have it.
Other options for vista hyperterminal software
- TeraTerm Pro open source terminal
- HyperTerminal Private Edition version 6.3
- If you have an old Windows XP installation, find and copy the file named "hypertrm.dll" and "hypertrm.exe" to Windows Vista in the same location. Run hypertrm.exe from run > cmd.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop