New Linux user often get this error. Let us say you haved downloaded the RPM file from net and saved to /tmp, you may get error - no no such file or directory - when the file is really downloaded and ls command can show the same.
Answer is pretty simple rpm command needs the full path to RPM command. Use pwd command to get full path and type the following commands:
Now install the rpm file:
rpm -ivh myrpm.rpm
or use full path:
rpm -ivh /tmp/myrpm.rpm
Running query on uninstalled rpm package
However if you run query on uninstalled package you will get an error:
# rpm -qi /tmp/bandwidth-0.12-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm
package bandwidth-0.12-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm is not installed
To query an uninstalled package pass -p option to rpm command.
# rpm -qip /tmp/bandwidth-0.12-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm
Name : bandwidth Relocations: (not relocatable) Version : 0.12 Vendor: Dag Apt Repository, http://dag.wieers.com/apt/ Release : 1.el5.rf Build Date: Sat 28 Jul 2007 03:27:28 PM CDT Install Date: (not installed) Build Host: lisse.leuven.wieers.com Group : Applications/Internet Source RPM: bandwidth-0.12-1.el5.rf.src.rpm Size : 30905 License: GPL Signature : DSA/SHA1, Sat 28 Jul 2007 03:31:11 PM CDT, Key ID a20e52146b8d79e6 Packager : Dag WieersTwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
URL : http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/bandwidth.html Summary : Artificial benchmark for measuring memory bandwidth Description : bandwidth is an artificial benchmark for measuring memory bandwidth, useful for identifying a computer's weak areas.
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop