WordPress is the best blogging platform I have ever used. Over last 3+ years I have published over 1200+ small how-to and tutorials. Both this blog and faq section runs on WordPress.
About site traffic
I never paid attention to web statistics. Recently I started to collect stats using webalizer and mint. Since May'06 this site received total 1,117,330 page views and unique 641,575 visitors. This blog received Google Pagerank (PR) 6 and many popular pages has PR 7 or 8. MySQL server serve 207.47 queries per minute. See the figure below for details:
(Click to enlarge the image)
I consume 50-75GB bandwidth each month.
I must agree Yahoo! provides a quite reliable hosting environment. They are rock solid but I need more control (like ssh access and .htaccess etc). I do have a VPS box at Go daddy software. May be I will move this site to VPS box but I am not sure box will be able to handle such massive load. Moving a site can be a real pain, especially when it is an unpaid job ;)
On an average 800-1000 people read the blog using RSS and another 500+ via an email based weekly newsletter.
I am planning to do few changes to this site in the near future. One of which is move site to dedicated box (AMD64 or P4 -D with 1 GiG +FreeBSD) and to a new domain name which is easy to remember.
Do you find cyberciti.biz domain hard to remember? I am planning to use domain name nixcraft.com or nixcraft.in. The nixcraft.com domain is more suitable for this kind of work and is easy to remember, IMPO. To be frank I hold all five nixCraft TLD's since last 3-5 years. LOL lots of money spend for keeping these domain names alive. Do not worry if I make any changes, all of you forwarded to new domain automatically.
I hate content stealers
I do have a full time job. This job keeps me quite busy, as I had to finish the job on time and meet the deadlines.
Generally, I write detailed how-tos/tutorials in advance and schedule them for rest of week. Small news or links published on fly. Usually I write late at night OR early in the morning OR weekends if I get enough time. I write because:
- I enjoy it :D
- I love to share my experience with rest of the world
- I get some wonderful comments, views, or emails from fellow UNIX users/sys admins etc. The response is always encouraging, especially when some one says THANK YOU for saving my A$$ :)
However, when I find people steal content from this site, my blood boils down badly. My humble request to spammers - do not steal the content, it takes tremendous amount of time and energy to write and maintain a blog/post/tutorial. It also hurts my search engine page rankings.
However, I am NOT going to switch to summery or short RSS feeds, because that will hurt to my loyal readers. There are other ways to deal with bad people.
Anyway I need to get back to bed it is already 2:05 AM; I have to attend university class tomorrow. I just wanted to say 'THANK YOU' to all my readers who browse (syndicates site) or spread a word about this site everyday. Your comments and suggestion keep me going on, on, and on.....
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop