Slackware version 13.0 has been released and available for download from the official project website. This release brings with it many major changes since Slackware 12.2, including a completely reworked collection of X packages (a configuration file for X is no longer needed in most cases), major upgrades to the desktop environments (KDE version 4.2.4 and Xfce version 4.6.1), a new .txz package format with much better compression, and other upgrades all around -- to the development system, network services, libraries, and major applications like Firefox and Thunderbird. Also, this is the first release of Slackware with native support for the 64-bit x86_64 architecture!
From the announcement page:
Slackware uses the 126.96.36.199 kernel bringing you advanced performance features such as journaling filesystems, SCSI and ATA RAID volume support, SATA support, Software RAID, LVM (the Logical Volume Manager), and encrypted filesystems. Kernel support for X DRI (the Direct Rendering Interface) brings high-speed hardware accelerated 3D graphics to Linux.
Slackware v13.0 Download
Grab it from the following links via BitTorrent. Use the .asc files here to verify your ISO images are authentic.
- Slackware 13.0 x86 Install ISO disc 1 (A/AP/D/E/L/N, bootable installer, kernels, testing/, Slackbook)
- Slackware 13.0 x86 Install ISO disc 2 (F/K/T/TCL/X/XAP/Y, L source)
- Slackware 13.0 x86 Install ISO disc 3 (KDE/KDEI)
- Slackware 13.0 x86 ISO disc 4 (A/AP/D/E/F/installer source, extra/, pasture/, old Berkeley DB packages)
- Slackware 13.0 x86 ISO disc 5 (KDE/KDEI source)
- Slackware 13.0 x86 ISO disc 6 (K/N/T/TCL/X/XAP/Y source, USB and PXE installers)
- Slackware 13.0 x86 DVD ISO (everything)
- Torrent for Slackware 13.0, 64-bit x86_64 - Slackware 13.0 x86_64 DVD ISO (everything)
Source code mirrosTwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop