You can browse Samba or windows share from Nautilus GUI file manager or command prompt using smbclient
But SSLBridge allows you to browse Samba/windows share over Internet using secure VPN connection.
From project home page:
SSLBridge is an AJAX and DHTML enhanced web application for viewing and accessing shared files and folders in a network. SSLBridge uses Samba and an SSL connection to create a VPN tunnel into a corporate network. A Samba web client.
Remotely access your servers and Network Neighborhood using just a browser. It is a browser-based application, which means you do not have to install any client software on your computer to access your corporate files and servers. In conjunction with an SSL 128 bit encrypted connection you can have secure access to your resources. SSLBridge uses Samba to authenticate with an Active Directory Server, so users do not have to remember a new username and password, all access privileges remain the same in SSLBridge as they do when in the office.
And what is the big advantage of this software?
Users can access and manipulate files over the internet using a browser, as if they were at their own Desktop system. So with this software you can access your corporate resources using your existing Active Directory Account username and password.
=> You need a working Apache+PHP or lighttpd web server
=> You must have net and smbclient (samba client) utilities installed such as:
- And zip program
Download sslbridge (128 KB):
Use wget command to download sslbridge.
# cd /opt
# wget http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sbrdg/sslbridge_1.4.tar.gz
# tar sslbridge_1.4.tar.gz
# mv sslbridge_1.4 /var/www/html/sslsamba
# chown www-data:www-data /var/www/html/sslsamba
Now open a webbrowser and type url http://domain.com/sslsamba or http://server-ip/sslsamba
You need to provide the name of Windows Domain Server. And path to temp directory (/tmp). This is the directory where SSLBridge needs read/write access on your web server.
Just follow on screen instruction and you should be able to access your windows and samba share.
=> Download link / project home page (128 KB)
++ Operating System: Linux
++ License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
++ Category: Dynamic Content, Data Warehousing, File Management, LDAP
-- Does not works with Windows XP/2003 server based Apache and PHP installation
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop