VLC media player – the cross-platform media player version 0.9.2 has been released and available for download.
VLC media player is a highly portable open souce multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, …) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. This software is DRM free and can play almost any popular media player instantly. From the wiki:
The 0.9 version of VLC media player adds a new interface module for Linux, Unix and Windows, a media library and an improved playlist, many new inputs and codecs support and many new audio and video filters.
The playlist has been improved in many ways, in addition to the new Media Library (very simple so far, but will be extended in the future):
- Live Searching in the playlist,
- Youtube, Dailymotion, Google Video and similar services URL can be scripted in VLC to play directly those URLs,
- last.fm submission support,
- Album art support,
- Better metadata tagging reading and writing support for audio files.
A lot of new decoders, demuxers, and protocols have been added.
There are new codecs support, like Flash video variants, camcorder codecs (M2TS ones), Dirac, Atrac3, H.264 PAFF, APE audio, RealVideo, VC-3, Fraps and others, but also better decoding and better performance. Many thanks to the FFmpeg project which can take most of the credit for these improvements.
There are improvements in the demuxers and new supports (subtitles format rework with many new formats, Tivo2, OMA, MIDI support…).
Tag supports of audio files have vastly been improved(fix of APE, AAC, OGG tags,…)
This version also supports DVB windows devices (BDA), iSight Webcams, v4l2 on Linux and many other ones.
Many new audio and video filters have been added:
- New video filters like puzzle game, color extracting, sharpen, logo erasing, blue-screen and more have been added.
- New audio filters have introduced Replay Gain support, Faster/Slower audio playback with pitch correction and a spatializer.
- Most video filters can now be streamed.
Download VLC Player For Windows, OS X and GNU/Linux
- Visit official project page to grab latest version.