How do you find out that somebody has accessed your system and changed your configuration or security settings? How do you verify file content? There is no simple answer to these questions. Personally, I use specialized tool such as tripwire and combination of perl / shell script, UNIX command line utilities.
Examine methods of storing and later checking the validity of your configuration files is one of the key task. This article provides some guideline. You will develop a script that you can use to generate information that checks the validity of a file or directory full of files. The recorded information includes the file path, a checksum of the file so that you can compare the file contents, and unique information about the file (inode, permissions, ownership information) so that you can identify differences should they occur:
TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
The typical UNIX administrator has a key range of utilities, tricks, and systems he or she uses regularly to aid in the process of administration. There are key utilities, command-line chains, and scripts that are used to simplify different processes. Some of these tools come with the operating system, but a majority of the tricks come through years of experience and a desire to ease the system administrator's life. The focus of this series is on getting the most from the available tools across a range of different UNIX environments, including methods of simplifying administration in a heterogeneous environment.
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop