I've been working on the Linux Shell Scripting Tutorial v.2.0 for some time and now the updated version licensed under "Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 3.0 Unported" of the same available in wiki format. It will contain a few significant changes from the previous versions of the tutorial, which includes a new topics, grammar & typo fixing and new sys admin related scripts.
The first eight updated chapters are available online at the following URL:
I'm planning to add few more chapters:
- Shell Functions and Libraries.
- Shell Array.
- Writing interactive scripts.
- Quick tour of filters such as cut, awk, sed, grep, cut, paste and sort commands.
- Date and strings manipulation.
- Common sys admin tasks automation such as file backup, database backup, user management, ftp, ssh, remote login, server monitoring, security, firewall, BIND dns management, web server management scripts etc
Hope you will enjoy new tutorial in wiki format! What you like, do not like or anything you feel I should improve on. If you see my mistake, typos or know of a better way to accomplish same task, please let me know. Add your feedback in the comments below.
Survey: Help Us Make nixCraft Better Site
As the reader of this site, you are our most important critic and commentator. I value your opinion and want to know what I'm doing right, what I could do better. Please take our survey. The questionnaire in total should not take more than 5 minutes time. As a thank-you for participating in the survey, you can enter a drawing for a chance to win a $100 VISA Gift Card. The gift card we are using is internationally accepted (can be used worldwide).
Please click here to take survey.
Thank you.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop