Linux is capable of running a big iron server, routers, tiny devices, supercomputers and ATMs. However the million dollar question can Linux finally crack Microsoft Corp.'s hold on computing's most visible domain -- mainstream PCs?
I think Linux has the ability and the rise of inexpensive machines such as Asus EEE Pc ($300 notebook PC) is fine proof of concept. Over last few years I had worked with government and private project involving Linux on desktop. Many Indian state and union (federal) government supports Linux as desktop operating system. Linux is perfect for
- Browsing / Internet / Chatting / Email
- Office Application
- Programming / Database etc
My personal experience shows that Linux can cut cost by 40 to 50 percent over comparable Windows computer.
This Yahoo news article provides further insight into current Linux desktop scenario:
Of course, prognosticators perennially say Linux is on the verge. It gets high marks for security and stability and is widely used behind the scenes in corporate servers, making it a natural candidate to steal desktop thunder from Microsoft's dominant Windows. And yet Linux PCs still represent less than 2 percent of the market.
This time, though, there's actually evidence of momentum.
While the best features in the latest Windows release, Vista, require top-notch configurations that can quickly ramp up a PC's price, one of the hottest segments of the industry involves inexpensive computers.
What do you think? Is Linux ready for prime time?TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop