From my mail bag:
I'm seriously considering getting trained myself with a UNIX / Linux education. Can you give me some general idea about salaries for computer professionals with diploma or degree education?
Salaries depends upon many factors such as:
=> Your country / location
=> Your credentials
=> Your level of experience
=> Your education level
=> Employer size
=> Job title etc
The best way to find information is just contact to your local recurring agency. Another old good option is LUG members. If you are located in U.S see Bureau of Labor Statistics website. After a quick search, I found following data (again valid for USA):
a] Tech support staff - US $50-55k p.a.
b] UNIX Sys / Net Admin - US $75-90k p.a.
c] UNIX Systems Manager - US $120k+ p.a.
There is no such data exists for India and salaries vary depending on diffrent factors. Please note that:
More Experience + Additional skillset == More money
=> Another Salary Survey Report for Job: Linux System Administrator (City and State search supported)
Feel free to share your experience in the comments.
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop