Yesterday I was configuring Red Hat enterprise Linux 4.0 64-bit version on DUAL AMD with 4 GiG system.
Everything went quite smoothly. The last requirement was to configure and install VMWARE Server products.
I had downloaded the VMWARE server from official vmware site, while configuring vmware server I got an error, which reads as follows:
The correct version of one or more libraries needed to run VMware Server may be
missing. This is the output of ldd /usr/local/bin/vmware:
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7f84000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7f80000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7f6e000)
libX11.so.6 => not found
libXtst.so.6 => not found
libXext.so.6 => not found
libXt.so.6 => not found
libICE.so.6 => not found
libSM.so.6 => not found
libXrender.so.1 => not found
libz.so.1 => not found
libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7e3c000)
From above output, I realized that Vmware needs 32-bit version of libc and other X windows library.
If you are using Debian/Ubuntu 64 bit there is a pcakge available called ia32-libs. You can install this package to get 32 bit libraries on 64 bit system.
# apt-get install ia32-libs
Luckily, Red Hat enterprise Linux v4.0 provides the backward compatibility too. All you need to do is type following two commands:
# up2date -i "@Compatibility Arch Development Support"
# up2date -i "@Compatibility Arch Support"
Above two commands will load/install all necessary libraries (total size 1GB). If you want to save a disk space, install individual packages.
Thanks to this topic @ VMWARE forum for quick solution - VMWare Server: Dependency problem on 64-Bit Red Hat ES 4, EM64T :DTwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop