Have you ever wondered what are BogoMips? Especially when booting Linux kernel you see message as follows:
Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 3437.74 BogoMIPS (lpj=6875498)
The "Bogo" in BogoMIPs stands for bogus. According to BogoMips mini-Howto:
- MIPS is short for Millions of Instructions Per Second.
- It is a measure for the computation speed of a program.
- Like most such measures, it is more often abused than used properly (it is very difficult to justly compare MIPS for different kinds of computers).
- BogoMips are Linus's invention. The kernel (or was it a device driver?) needs a timing loop (the time is too short and/or needs to be too exact for a non-busy-loop method of waiting), which must be calibrated to the processor speed of the machine. Hence, the kernel measures at boot time how fast a certain kind of busy loop runs on a computer. "Bogo" comes from "bogus", i.e, something which is a fake. Hence, the BogoMips value gives some indication of the processor speed, but it is way too unscientific to be called anything but BogoMips.
Ok so all I understood from above definition is that it is a tiny C loop which is use to calculate timing for a loop (such as for loop).
I have also noticed command bogomips which prints BogoMIPS:
Calibrating delay loop... 2228.22 BogoMIPS
Anyone any more ideas or suggestion...?TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop