This is the dumbest article ever.
Would the internet as we know it exist without Linux? Absolutely not. Where Linux shines the most is in its server applications - no question, says Rich Menga:
Linux was literally the only OS out there that had the right price (free), ran similar to a Unix and could use existing computers of the time to connect customers. Anything else would break the bank way too easily. What would you have used that you could afford? Netware? Lotus Domino? HP-UX (that requires those refrigerator-sized HP servers)? I don't think so.
This is really bold claim but the Internet would certainly exist without Linux. UNIX and the Internet go together. Linux is successful because of the Internet and small group of hackers connected via the Internet. Berkeley Software Distribution (*BSD) is the Unix operating system derivative developed and distributed by the Computer Systems Research Group of the University of California, Berkeley, from 1977 to 1995. Also, most major ISPs and enterprises powered by commercial proprietor platforms such as Cisco. Just look at early successful web applications and companies such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Sony,Amazon and many others. What OS are they using at the time of starup?
Linux is a base platform; you need Perl, PHP, MySQL, Python, MTA and many other open source apps to make it work. Technically, Linux is kernel not even OS. Linux distribution is complete OS. If Linux was not around, Sun, *BSD and other UNIX like oses may have acted as internet servers, period.TwitterFacebookGoogle+PDF versionFound an error/typo on this page? Help us!
- 30 Cool Open Source Software I Discovered in 2013
- 30 Handy Bash Shell Aliases For Linux / Unix / Mac OS X
- Top 30 Nmap Command Examples For Sys/Network Admins
- 25 PHP Security Best Practices For Sys Admins
- 20 Linux System Monitoring Tools Every SysAdmin Should Know
- 20 Linux Server Hardening Security Tips
- Linux: 20 Iptables Examples For New SysAdmins
- Top 20 OpenSSH Server Best Security Practices
- Top 20 Nginx WebServer Best Security Practices
- 20 Examples: Make Sure Unix / Linux Configuration Files Are Free From Syntax Errors
- 15 Greatest Open Source Terminal Applications Of 2012
- My 10 UNIX Command Line Mistakes
- Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software
- Top 5 Email Client For Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Users
- The Novice Guide To Buying A Linux Laptop