DNS is an acronym for Domain Name System. DNS is key to many network services run on the Internet or LAN (Local Area Network) such as:
- Internet browsing
- Mail server
- Web server
- Video streaming and more.
How to find out what my DNS servers address are on Linux/Unix/macOS
The resolver is a set of routines in the C library that provide access to the Internet Domain Name System (DNS). The resolver configuration file contains information that is read by the resolver routines the first time they are invoked by a process.
Commend to find out your dns servers ip address under Linux/BSD/Unixish system
To see your DNS server address type the following cat command as shell prompt:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
OR use the less command/more command shell pagers:
$ less /etc/resolv.conf
Another option is to use the grep command/egrep command:
nameserver 22.214.171.124 nameserver 126.96.36.199
- nameserver 188.8.131.52 : It is Name server IP address (in dot notation) of a name server that the resolver should query. All your application will use this IP address for DNS purpose.
Check out related media
The following video tutorial shows you how to find out your dns server IP address assigned by an ISP router or dhcp server under Linux or Unix operating systems using both command line and graphical user interfaces:
Click on Start button > Run > and Type command cmd > Press [enter] key
At DOS prompt type the command:
You should DNS server IP address, and other information related to Windows networking:
- You can Click on Start button > Settings > Network connections
- Double click on Local Area Connection
- Click on Properties button
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Click on Properties button and Look for Preferred DNS Server:
Public DNS Servers
You can use the following Google public DNS (IP Addresses) servers for game consoles, routers, wifi devices, mobile phones or any other purpose:
They are free to all, pretty fast too and works with all sort of computers and game consoles.
- Free public dns server for personal and business use.
- How to find and change Nintendo Wii DNS server IP address
- /etc/resolve.conf example
- Linux: How to setup as DNS client?
|Category||List of Unix and Linux commands|
|Firewall||CentOS 8 • OpenSUSE • RHEL 8 • Ubuntu 16.04 • Ubuntu 18.04 • Ubuntu 20.04|
|Network Utilities||dig • host • ip • nmap|
|OpenVPN||CentOS 7 • CentOS 8 • Debian 10 • Debian 8/9 • Ubuntu 18.04 • Ubuntu 20.04|
|Package Manager||apk • apt|
|Processes Management||bg • chroot • cron • disown • fg • jobs • killall • kill • pidof • pstree • pwdx • time|
|Searching||grep • whereis • which|
|User Information||groups • id • lastcomm • last • lid/libuser-lid • logname • members • users • whoami • who • w|
|WireGuard VPN||CentOS 8 • Debian 10 • Firewall • Ubuntu 20.04|