A new version of the Raspberry PI 3 model B+ has released, and it is incredible update over the older model. Just over two years ago, I got Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. It was my first 64-bit ARM board. It came with 64-bit CPU. Here are the complete specs for updated 64-bit credit card size computer.
From the blog post:
Dual-band wireless LAN and Bluetooth are provided by the Cypress CYW43455 “combo” chip, connected to a Proant PCB antenna similar to the one used on Raspberry Pi Zero W. Compared to its predecessor, Raspberry Pi 3B+ delivers somewhat better performance in the 2.4GHz band, and far better performance in the 5GHz band
Previous Raspberry Pi devices have used the LAN951x family of chips, which combine a USB hub and 10/100 Ethernet controller. For Raspberry Pi 3B+, Microchip have supported us with an upgraded version, LAN7515, which supports Gigabit Ethernet. While the USB 2.0 connection to the application processor limits the available bandwidth, we still see roughly a threefold increase in throughput compared to Raspberry Pi 3B.
The Raspberry Pi model 3 B+ Specs
- SOC: Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC
- CPU: 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
- RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
- WIFI: Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN (2.4GHz and 5GHz ) and Bluetooth 4.2
- Ethernet: Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0 (max 300 Mbps). Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT). Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting.
- Thermal management: Yes
- Video: Yes – VideoCore IV 3D. Full-size HDMI
- Audio: Yes
- USB 2.0: 4 ports
- GPIO: 40-pin
- Power: 5V/2.5A DC power input
- Operating system support: Linux and Unix
Key Improvements from Pi 3 Model B to Pi 3 Model B+
- Improved compatibility for network booting
- New support for Power over Ethernet
- Processor speed has increased from 1.2Ghz on Pi 3 to 1.4Ghz
- New dual band wireless LAN chip, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with embedded antenna
- Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy
- Faster onboard Ethernet, up to 300mbps speed
The only downside
The Gigabit Ethernet is a nice upgrade. However, the storage and network share the same bus. So you will not get full Gigabit speed. In other words Gigabit connectivity at a theoretical maximum throughput of 300Mb/s. But, you can’t get everything for $35.
Raspberry PI 3 model B+ pricing
The price is same as the existing Raspberry Pi 3 Model B:
- USD – $35
For more info see this page.
🐧 Get the latest tutorials on Linux, Open Source & DevOps via:
|Category||List of Unix and Linux commands|
|Firewall||Alpine Awall • CentOS 8 • OpenSUSE • RHEL 8 • Ubuntu 16.04 • Ubuntu 18.04 • Ubuntu 20.04|
|Network Utilities||dig • host • ip • nmap|
|OpenVPN||CentOS 7 • CentOS 8 • Debian 10 • Debian 8/9 • Ubuntu 18.04 • Ubuntu 20.04|
|Package Manager||apk • apt|
|Processes Management||bg • chroot • cron • disown • fg • jobs • killall • kill • pidof • pstree • pwdx • time|
|Searching||grep • whereis • which|
|User Information||groups • id • lastcomm • last • lid/libuser-lid • logname • members • users • whoami • who • w|
|WireGuard VPN||Alpine • CentOS 8 • Debian 10 • Firewall • Ubuntu 20.04|