The SSH protocol is recommended for remote login and remote file transfer which provides confidentiality and security for data exchanged between two computer systems, through the use of public key cryptography. The OpenSSH server provides this kind of setup under Linux. It is installed by default. This how-to covers generating and using ssh keys for automated usage such as:
- Automated Login using the shell scripts.
- Making backups.
- Run commands from the shell prompt etc.
If you would like to configure Cisco router using Linux or FreeBSD (connected to a local COM port). Use the following instruction to configure device:
1) Connect cisco router to com port using serial cable
2) Use program like minicom (type minicom at a shell prompt)
3) Select the port, speed and /dev/ttyS0 as com1 port and save configuration as dfl. Next select Exit
4) Continue with your router configurationâ€¦
5) For more information on minicom read man page here
6) Other links:
* Cisco Router Configuration Tutorial
* Accessing a Cisco Router using FreeBSD (command also works with linux)