Securing your Linux server is important to protect your data, intellectual property, and time, from the hands of crackers (hackers). The system administrator is responsible for security Linux box. In this first part of a Linux server security series, I will provide 20 hardening tips for default installation of Linux system.
The latest version of the popular Linux desktop distribution Ubuntu 9.10 has been released and available from the official project web site. New features since Ubuntu 9.04 includes – Firefox 3.5, GNOME 2.28, an enforcing AppArmor profile, Linux kernel 2.6.31, ext4 file system (default), Empathy instant messenger instead of Pidgin, the Ubuntu One client, which interfaces with Canonical’s new on-line storage system. It also includes a new application called the Ubuntu Software Center. A quick screen-shot tour of new features available here on our website.
OpenBSD 4.6 has been released and available for download from the official website. OpenBSD is well known for record of more than ten years with only two remote holes in the default install. The OpenBSD is widely known for the quality open source code and documentation, uncompromising position on software licensing, and focus on security and code correctness.
Internet has revolutionized the way online users can shop and avail banking services like internet Banking from anywhere, anytime without visiting bank. But, how safe is your money with online net-banking which allows to carry out money transfer? Companies and in some case individuals lost anywhere from $10,000 to $500,000 dollars because of a single malware infection. The cyber crooks are targeting innocent MS-Windows user. If you are concerned about how best to protect yourself from this type of fraud, use Linux LiveCD for online banking and avoid Microsoft Windows at all cost.
Our FAQ section is updated in last few days with new howtos:
- nginx: Install GeoIP Module For Country / City Level Geo Targeting
- KVM Virtualization: Start VNC Remote Access For Guest Operating Systems
- UNIX / Linux: Shell Scripting With mail Command
- HowTo: Linux Install LibreOffice
- Mplayer: Play Audio CD Using Linux Command Line
- Grep From Files and Display the File Name
- WordPress Install Memcached Object Cache Plugin To Speed Up Blog
- Linux / UNIX: Untar / Extract a .lzma Tar Ball
As requested by our readers I’ve made few changes to site:
- RSS feed – Get FAQ updates using rss feed here.
- Low graphics version – For dial up and lynx users we have added a low graphics version here.
nixCraft is on Facebook!
Not our Fan yet? We suggest you become one right away! Just visit our Facebook Page. Click on the “like” button.