Debian GNU/Linux version 5.0 has been released ( jump to download ) after 22 months of constant development and available for download in various media format. Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system which supports a total of twelve processor architectures and includes the KDE, GNOME, Xfce, and LXDE desktop environments. It also features compatibility with the FHS v2.3 and software developed for version 3.2 of the LSB.
Update: There is a newer software of this software available:
Download Debian Linux 7 Lenny ISO / CD / DVD Images
What’s new in Debian 5.0
The installation process for Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 has been improved in many ways: among many other improvements, support for installation from more than one CD or DVD has been restored, firmware required by some devices can be loaded by using removable media, and installations via Braille display are supported. The installer boot process has also received much attention: a graphical menu can be used to choose front-ends and desktop environments, and to select expert or rescue mode. The installation system for Debian GNU/Linux has now been translated to 63 languages. Following new updated major software packages are included:
- 23,000 Open source software
- K Desktop Environment 3.5.10 (KDE)
- GNOME desktop environment 2.22.2
- OpenOffice.org 2.4.1
- GIMP 2.4.7
- Iceweasel 3.0.6 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox)
- Icedove 18.104.22.168 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird)
- PostgreSQL 8.3.6, MySQL 5.0.51a
- GNU Compiler Collection 4.3.2
- Linux kernel version 2.6.26
- Apache 2.2.9, Samba 3.2.5, Python 2.5.2 and 2.4.6, Perl 5.10.0, PHP 5.2.6, Asterisk 22.214.171.124, Emacs 22, Inkscape 0.46, Nagios 3.06
- Xen Hypervisor 3.2.1 (dom0 as well as domU support)
- OpenJDK 6b11
(Fig.01: Default Debian Linux 5 Gnome Desktop in Action, image credit: Tuxradar)
The installation process for Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 has been improved in many ways: among many other improvements, support for installation from more than one CD or DVD has been restored, firmware required by some devices can be loaded by using removable media, and installations via Braille display are supported. The installer boot process has also received much attention: a graphical menu can be used to choose front-ends and desktop environments, and to select expert or rescue mode. The installation system for Debian GNU/Linux has now been translated to 63 languages.
Please note that Debian provides all packages on CD / DVD and the total size is around 18GB for all media files. You only need to download first CD / DVD and install the base system. Once done use the Internet to install any packages.
Debian 5 Download
You can download Debian Linux 5 via the web/ftp server or via BitTorrent (recommended).
32 bit vs 64 bit Debian version
- For almost all PCs select 32 bit version. For e.g., most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors.
- Choose 64 bit version to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2).
Debian 5 DVD ISO download
There are total 5 DVD images:
- Visit mirror to download Debian ISO image 32 bit i386 DVD ISO (4.4 GB each)
- Visit mirror to download Debian ISO images 64 bit DVD ISO (4.4 GB each)
Debian download: Debian 5 CD ISO download
There are total 31 ISO images, I strongly suggest to get DVD images :
Debian Linux 5 DVD ISO BitTorrent download
Download images from the following mirror:
Debian 5 DVD ISO BitTorrent download
- Download from BitTorrent i386 32 bit DVD (requires a BitTorrent client)
- Download from BitTorrent 64 bit DVD (requires a BitTorrent client)
Debian 5 Upgrade over the Internet
- You can upgrade Debian 4.0 to 5.0 simply following these instructions.
Debian Linux 5 Download Mirrors list
🐧 42 comments so far... add one ↓
|Category||List of Unix and Linux commands|
|Firewall||Alpine Awall • CentOS 8 • OpenSUSE • RHEL 8 • Ubuntu 16.04 • Ubuntu 18.04 • Ubuntu 20.04|
|Network Utilities||dig • host • ip • nmap|
|OpenVPN||CentOS 7 • CentOS 8 • Debian 10 • Debian 8/9 • Ubuntu 18.04 • Ubuntu 20.04|
|Package Manager||apk • apt|
|Processes Management||bg • chroot • cron • disown • fg • jobs • killall • kill • pidof • pstree • pwdx • time|
|Searching||grep • whereis • which|
|User Information||groups • id • lastcomm • last • lid/libuser-lid • logname • members • users • whoami • who • w|
|WireGuard VPN||Alpine • CentOS 8 • Debian 10 • Firewall • Ubuntu 20.04|