Kubuntu Linux 8.10 has been released and available for download ( jump to download link ). Kubuntu use KDE as a desktop environment, instead of the default GNOME system. It is part of the Ubuntu project and uses the same underlying system.
Today sees the release of Kubuntu 8.10 featuring the KDE 4 desktop. The Kubuntu developers have been hard at work, bringing you the latest and greatest software the open source community has to offer. KDE 4 reworks your system with a major new revision of the desktop.
What’s new in Kubuntu Linux 8.10
- KDE4 : At last, fully supported, the reworked desktop, KDE 4. Kubuntu ships with KDE 4.1.2. Taskmanager tooltips have also been backported from KDE trunk.
- Desktop Effects: In KDE4 KWin has been given the bling-bling with shiny new Desktop effects ranging from the standard shadows and translucency to Wobbly Windows to a Coverswitch alt-tab window switcher shown above. These effects will be on by default if your video card supports them.
- Dolphin File Manager : Dolphin gets a breath of fresh air in KDE 4, with numerous new features, a load of bugfixes, and those tiny polishing details that make Dolphin a very capable file manager. As in past releases, Konqueror is still available for file browsing if you prefer it.
- Adept 3.0: A new desktop needs a new package manager, Adept 3 fulfills that need. Adept 3.0 brings a fresh KDE 4 interface that is much more stable, nimble and easy on system resources.
- All the essential Kubuntu tools have been given greater integration with KDE 4 with ports to to PyKDE4:
- GDebiKDE, for .deb package installation.
- Jockey-KDE, the proprietary driver manager
- Language Selector, the Kubuntu language selection and setup tool
- Software Properties, the apt sources.list editor for Adept
- Printer Applet, shows what is currently printing
- System Config Printer KDE, the printer setup tool
- Guidance Power Manager, for battery monitoring
Kubuntu 8.10 Download
You can download Kubuntu Linux 8.10 via the web/ftp server or via BitTorrent (recommended). The combined install/live DVD allows you either to install Ubuntu permanently on a computer.
Kubuntu download: Kubuntu 8.10 CD ISO download
- Download Kubuntu Linux 8.10 CD 32 bit i386 (698M) [ mirror#2 | mirror #3 ]
- Download Kubuntu Linux 8.10 CD 64 bit (698M) [ mirror#2 | mirror #3 ]
Kubuntu 8.0 DVD ISO download
- Visit mirror to download Kubuntu ISO image 64 bit i386 DVD ISO (3.5 GB)
- Visit mirror to download Kubuntu ISO images 32 bit DVD ISO (3.6 GB)
Kubuntu 8.10 ISO BitTorrent download
- Download from BitTorrent i386 32 bit ISO CD (requires a BitTorrent client)
- Download from BitTorrent 64 bit ISO CD (requires a BitTorrent client)
Kubuntu Linux 8.10 Download Mirrors