Update: Aug/1/2010 – Due to excessive bandwidth usage issue this is no longer available for download.
The nixCraft FAQ collection is now available to anyone who wants to browse it off-line in a PDF format. This tar ball contains 1600+ Linux, *BSD, UNIX, Perl, Bash and scripting related faqs, mini-howtos, and tutorials compiled and written by Vivek Gite.
- Release note and copyright information
- Download nixcraft-faqs.tar (115+ M) tar ball which contains total 1530+ FAQ articles in a PDF format. (updated every week with new FAQs)
How Do I Download And View Index Locally?
Use the wget command as follows (assuming that you are loggged in as /home/vivek/):
wget -U foo 'http://static.cyberciti.biz/nixcraft-faqs.tar?k=true' -O nixcraft-faqs.tar mkdir nixcraft-pdfs tar -xvf nixcraft-faqs.tar -C nixcraft-pdfs
Fire a web browser and type the following local url (change /home/vivek with your actual directory name):
The index file includes each faq title and corresponding pdf file stored in your own local directory. You can use your browsers search facility to locate faq immediately.
How Do I Index All PDF Files Locally?
- Use Beagle which is also indexing system, designed to help you search inside your files.
- There is an easy and built-in way to do it under Gnome desktop. Launch the Search for Files program from the Places menu.
- Use Google Desktop Linux search application that gives you easy access to information on your computer. Desktop makes searching your own email, pdf files, music, photos, and more as easy as searching the web with Google.
The nixCraft FAQ pdf collection will be updated on weekly or monthly basis. Work is also in progress to generate only one large PDF file. Alternatively, you can download pdf version for FAQ or blog post by visiting “Download PDF version” url:
Add your feedback / suggestion in the comments below.