You can create URL redirection service for your blog within five minutes using nothing but web server’s mod_redirect module. For example, when you type or share a url io9.in/t/5159 you will be automatically redirected to http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/my-10-unix-command-line-mistakes.html. In this quick post I will explain how to create url shortener and integrate your wordpress based blog without installing any new scripts.
Man pages are written by sys-admin and developers for IT techs, and are intended more as a reference than as a how to. Man pages are very useful for people who are already familiar with Linux, Unix, and BSD operating systems. Use man pages when you just need to know the syntax for particular commands or configuration file, but they are not helpful for new Linux users. Man pages are not good for learning something new for the first time. Here are thirty best documentation sites on the web for learning Linux and Unix like operating systems.
Our FAQ section is updated in last few days with new howto:
- Linux: Find Out What Partition a File Belongs To
- Linux: Neighbour Table Overflow Error and Solution
- Linux: Run fsck On LUKS (dm-crypt) Based LVM Physical Volume
- HowTo Run a Script In Linux
- HowTo Install firefox-8.0.tar.bz2 in Linux
- Linux / Unix curl: Pass HTTP Referer
- CentOS / RHEL: Remove Routes 169.254.0.0 / 255.255.0.0 From the System
- Linux: Reset High Speed USB Device Using ehci_hcd Error and Solution
Make the most of nixCraft FAQ Section
Dennis Ritchie died at home this weekend after a long illness. I’m sure every “Unix” and “C” user will miss him.He was the key developer of the Unix and original developer of the C programming language.
Dennis MacAlistair Ritchie was an American computer scientist notable for developing C and for having influence on other programming languages, as well as operating systems such as Multics and Unix. He received the Turing Award in 1983 and the National Medal of Technology 1998 on April 21, 1999. Ritchie was the head of Lucent Technologies System Software Research Department when he retired in 2007.
Our FAQ section is updated in last few days with new howtos:
- Linux Find Out CPU Architecture Information
- Gnome Network Manager VPN Tab Disabled ( Greyed out )
- Gnome Volume Control: Disabled Sound Themes
- Debian Linux (Squeeze) Install Firefox 4
- UNIX: Find Out the Server Model
- Linux / UNIX: Run Command a Number of Times In a Row
- Linux: TMOUT To Automatically Log Users Out
- RHEL 6: Change OpenSSH Port To 1255 ( SELinux Config )
- RHEL 6: semanage SELinux Command Not Found
- HowTo: UNIX Set Date and Time Command
FAQ & Howtos RSS Feed
Get intimated about our new howtos / faqs as soon as it is released via RSS feed.
nixCraft is on Facebook!
Not our Fan yet? We suggest you become one right away! Just visit our Facebook Page. Click on the “like” button.
You can now enjoy mysteries of the sea from the safety of your own terminal using ASCIIQuarium. It is an aquarium/sea animation in ASCII art created using perl.